By: staff Date: 04/6/2018
For years, the Komodo dragon was accused of having a mouth so filthy that even if you escaped its terrible bite, you were doomed to eventually die from the ensuing bacterial infection. However, recent studies on Komodo dragons demonstrated that this was unfair, as they have mouths cleaner than many mammalian carnivores. It turns out the reality is worse than the myth: they have poison glands! Komodo dragons produce a venom that sends prey into shock while keeping its blood from clotting. A deer or pig who “escapes” will run off and go into shock, often bleeding out from its wounds within 3 hours, leaving an easy treat for the dragon.